INTERVIEW: JOHN MATHEW - GROUP CEO OF CAVLI WIRELESS
In the next five years, Cavli foresees that Internet of Things will have a transformative impact on every single industry across a multitude of use cases and billions of connected objects. Cavli plans to be a driving force in this transformation.
Cavli believes that connecting every object in the physical world to the internet will most seamlessly and efficiently solve the majority of our problems, and massively improve the quality of life and productivity. This is the true power of the ‘Internet of Things’. Cavli aims to be one of the top 5 players in the globe to deliver this power.
"Cavli Wireless is every IoT product maker's gateway to hassle free deployments. With our suite of solutions, we enable product makers to get their IoT solutions ‘Smart Connected’ in the most seamless, secure and scalable way possible. At Cavli Wireless we are simplifying the IoT connectivity infrastructure landscape with our end-to-end suite of Smart embedded modules, eSIM solutions and connectivity cloud platform."
Tell us about Cavli Wireless and your solutions.
Cavli Wireless is every IoT product maker's gateway to hassle free deployments. With our suite of solutions, we enable product makers to get their IoT solutions ‘Smart Connected’ in the most seamless, secure and scalable way possible. At Cavli Wireless we are simplifying the IoT connectivity infrastructure landscape with our end-to-end suite of Smart embedded modules, eSIM solutions and connectivity cloud platform. We work with telecom operators around the world to provision local IoT data in LTE/ Low Power Wide Area network technologies like NB IoT, LTE-M on our eSIM technology, so that IoT product makers don't have the hassle of navigating this complex fragmented ecosystem. As our core focus is secure & seamless IoT connectivity enablement, we are positioned to enable pretty-much the entire spectrum of use cases from Logistics to Smart utility metering to Asset tracking to applications in Healthcare IoT, thus making our solution industry agnostic. Cavli Wireless is among the first players in the industry to launch connectivity modules integrated with eSIM that are preloaded with global IoT data, which can be managed by our own platform - Cavli Hubble. Cavli Hubble gives remote backdoor access to smart modules & eSIMs, thereby giving businesses the confidence to scale seamlessly. There is a layer of intelligence and analytics for connectivity management for IoT solutions that are currently not on offer in the global cellular IoT deployment market.
Why has Hubble 99 taken the industry by storm?
Hubble99 is the most ambitious IoT adoption plan that has ever hit the IoT industry globally. For an irresistible package price of $0.99/month/device, IoT solution players get the eSIM integrated connectivity hardware of their choice of technology, pre-loaded IoT data pack, and the robust Connectivity-Device management cloud platform, all together as one single package. All Cavli smart modules offered as part of Hubble99, come with a lifetime warranty, thereby taking away any apprehensions regarding how a net-zero priced module will take care of your connectivity needs.
With Hubble99 IoT product/solution makers can:
- Enjoy lifetime warranty of IoT modules as long as the data plan is active.
- Get access to local IoT networks in over 180+ countries.
- Get 24/7 dedicated Customer support & Application support.
- Gain immediate remote access for firmware and application management with Cavli Hubble.
- Save capital investments on IoT projects by 50% in year one and 30% in three years time.
- Get to a ‘ready to deploy’ scalable version of their IoT product in 3 months time.
"We believe that connecting every object in the physical world to the internet will most seamlessly and efficiently solve the majority of problems. To fast-track that vision, we realized the industry requires a disruptive solution; one that can enable established solutions makers as well as the new entrants to BUILD, CONNECT and SCALE their ‘Smart-Connected’ solution."
Hubble 99 is the first of its kind subscription model. What did you spot in the marketplace that convinced you that this approach is needed?
We believe that connecting every object in the physical world to the internet will most seamlessly and efficiently solve the majority of problems. To fast-track that vision, we realized the industry requires a disruptive solution; one that can enable established solutions makers as well as the new entrants to BUILD, CONNECT and SCALE their ‘Smart-Connected’ solution.
- First and foremost, without making any compromise on the quality of the service.
- Secondly, at a fraction of the cost of what the current technology providers service the market.
We realized that IoT product makers so far do not have access to a technology enabler that not only takes away a lot of hassles at once, but also brings them great cost benefits helping them to deploy those savings either to enhance their research or improve their marketing initiatives. This led us to defining Hubble99 with a singular vision to enable as many IoT product makers as we can, on the planet.
You provide the hardware, the connectivity solutions and the platform. What advantages does that give you and your customers?
Cavli's suite of solutions is tied to a combination of three pillars:
1. The IoT connectivity and Edge compute modules, i.e, the C-series and P-Series line of products,
2. Hubble SIM/eSIM solutions that powers global IoT connectivity
3. Connectivity & Modem Management Platform, the Cavli Hubble.
- Our smart compute modules, P-Series, are designed for durable use, minimal ﬁeld support requirement, lower total
cost of ownership (TCO) & is ideal for manufacturers who are looking to quickly design and launch their IoT devices in multiple segments and geographies worldwide.
- Our SIM solutions are available in both traditional Nano-SIM and eSIM form factors. Cavli Hubble's remote provisioning system facilitates local IoT connectivity with over 60+ direct telecom operator partnerships.
- One of the key objectives of Cavli Hubble is to give control over millions of connected devices with ease. Our cloud platform also enables over-the-air ﬁrmware updates that quickly sends new features to remote devices with a click of a button.
- We directly work with telecom operators around the world to facilitate local data connectivity, thereby ensuring that any IoT product maker or enterprise in any industry, be it logistics, smart agriculture, industrial IoT, smart city applications, can easily build, connect and scale their IoT solutions to any geography in the world in the most seamless manner possible.
What this means for the IoT product maker is that they have the entire suite of solutions required to enable cellular IoT from one single technology partner - Cavli Wireless, thereby considerably shrinking the value chain and time required to go to market. Cavli Hubble is the epicenter of our solution which gives the power to scale seamlessly to the IoT product maker. We envision a future where Cavli will support millions of product makers to go from product design to MVP to mass deployment in three months anywhere on planet earth with our end-to-end IoT enabler product suite.
"With the global adoption of Low Power Wide Area Networks like NB-IoT and CAT-M1 and the emergence of 5G technology, it is certain that the world will experience an explosive growth in the number of connected IoT devices in the next few years. Foreseeing this transition, Cavli is on a mission to ensure our solutions are relevant to the needs of the cellular IoT industry. We are making this possible with the combination of several internal drivers such as an experienced/multi-faceted team, an agile R&D process that adopts the latest technologies evolving in hardware to enable Connectivity as a Service, and a secure supply chain."
What industries have the greatest need and potential for Cavli Wireless?
Cavli’s IoT enabling solutions span across verticals and global markets to address the most pressing challenges of today’s businesses. We offer integrated IoT solutions that can cater to the broadest range of applications and use cases.
- Energy and Utilities: Cavli’s IoT solutions provide a definite edge by allowing customers to seamlessly connect & manage all their energy assets. Our smart energy solutions are straightforward, adaptable and secure thanks to our cloud-based device monitoring and diagnostics solution – Cavli Hubble. A few applications are smart grids, smart meters, smart bins, and smart buildings.
- Transportation and Logistics: We design solutions that can manage the intricacies of the transit and transport systems in an intelligent, smart and secure manner. Cavli enables automotive manufacturers and stakeholders worldwide to gain a competitive advantage in their deployments. A few applications are fleet management, asset tracking, dynamic traffic management, On-board Diagnostics, and autonomous driving.
- Industry 4.0: With Cavli’s Industry 4.0 solutions, factories and warehouses can achieve horizontal and vertical integrations of systems, processes, and equipment to achieve real-time decision making and enhanced efficiency. A few applications are connected machinery and equipment, smart wireless manufacturing, and asset management.
- Agriculture: Smart Farms of today are enabled with multiple sensory application and control systems to manage everything from pumps to heavy machinery and irrigation channels to indoor climate control systems for storage facilities. IoT enabled livestock management provides farmers with real-time information about their livestock – blood pressure, heart rate, and other vitals. A few applications are weather monitoring, smart irrigation, precision farming, cattle tracking/monitoring.
- Healthcare: Healthcare in IoT ensures a connected ecosystem that helps practitioners to harness the benefits of real-time data transfer. IoT enables medical providers to make quick, smart and potentially life-saving decisions, helping prevent emergencies and possible hospital readmissions. Cavli’s suite of cellular IoT enabling solutions ensures that it is effortless to achieve wireless/remote monitoring & management of medical equipment and wearable devices. A few applications are real-time patient monitoring, enhanced biomarker systems, and controlled & intelligent drug delivery.
Tell us about the key internal drivers of Cavli's success.
With the global adoption of Low Power Wide Area Networks like NB-IoT and CAT-M1 and the emergence of 5G technology, it is certain that the world will experience an explosive growth in the number of connected IoT devices in the next few years. Foreseeing this transition, Cavli is on a mission to ensure our solutions are relevant to the needs of the cellular IoT industry. We are making this possible with the combination of several internal drivers such as an experienced/multi-faceted team, an agile R&D process that adopts the latest technologies evolving in hardware to enable Connectivity as a Service, and a secure supply chain. Our product suite is the result of the amalgamation of three different verticals - Telecom technology, Embedded Electronics, and Software Technology. Over the years we've worked with industry majors across the globe at upstream and downstream ends to ensure our IoT CaaS solution always remains a few steps ahead of the game.
"In 2017, I embarked on my journey as the Chief Executive Officer at Cavli Wireless. I am good at building and executing strategic partnerships by bringing to the table ‘win-win’ propositions that have resulted in big corporations being on-boarded for pivotal partnerships. My 10+ years of experience in developing products and managing cross-functional teams all the while with a ‘get your hands dirty’ approach has ensured that I am always up for any twist or turns in the fast-paced communications industry."
Tell us a bit about your professional background.
I was raised and educated in India, I hold a bachelors’ degree in Electronics and Telecommunications, which set the route for my future entrepreneurial endeavors. Entrepreneurship, Communications technology and the sport of Cricket in that order gets me excited and going. My passion for engineering and a decade of experience in Communication technology has helped me spot problems and gaps in the telecoms/ IoT sector, which we carefully package around solid business models. Co-founding and leading Group companies - Divox International Inc and Transdata Global Ltd to great success as telecom voice & data services companies, bears testimony to how we built tech stacks to capitalize on the advent of Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP). Building a system that facilitated voice traffic across geographies by working alongside major telecom operators finally led our foray into the world of Cellular IoT.
In 2017, I embarked on my journey as the Chief Executive Officer at Cavli Wireless. I am good at building and executing strategic partnerships by bringing to the table ‘win-win’ propositions that have resulted in big corporations being on-boarded for pivotal partnerships. My 10+ years of experience in developing products and managing cross-functional teams all the while with a ‘get your hands dirty’ approach has ensured that I am always up for any twist or turns in the fast-paced communications industry.
My colleagues have mentioned my ‘no-nonsense walk the talk’ work ethic as the essential virtue in my leadership approach. In my capacity as the CEO & Chief Technology Architect of Cavli Wireless, I oversee the overall direction for the organization, all the while being deeply engaged in driving technology, defining the new product roadmap, and putting important upstream & downstream partnerships in place to aid the vision of Cavli Wireless.
Cavli Wireless has a stated goal of becoming one of the Top 5 providers in its space globally; what are the key elements you need in order to achieve this target?
To emerge as the top 5 global solution providers for cellular IoT implementation, Cavli is building an aggressive global sales operation that will make strong inroads into newer markets. With a passionate team that believes in the vision and an agile Research & Development process that addresses how we considerably shrink the value chain of IoT deployments, will always ensure that we are three steps ahead of the game amongst our competitors in the cellular IoT industry space.
Cavli Wireless recently launched India's first 5G test network. What does that mean for IoT innovation in the country?
We were set to launch the test network in Q3 2020, but due to the COVID-19 scenario, we have slightly delayed the investment to mid of 2021 to ensure that we get to attract the best startups in the country innovating in the ‘Smart solutions’ space when the business machinery in the country becomes fully operational again. When realized, the 5G test network platform will enable startups and companies in the IoT segment in and outside India, to prepare their products and prototypes to be ready for the latest technologies. This test network will be available with 5G SA and NSA modes (supporting sub-6Ghz bands), alongside LTE NB-IoT and CAT-M for the LPWAN side of the IoT. Access to this test network will be totally free of cost and availing this here in the Indian ecosystem is going to fast-track different use cases over it and companies can take their products globally anywhere completely pre-tested and compliant. As 5G will bring many new test requirements and challenges by the use of SDN/NFV and cloud services, the technology can also be used for creating new test solutions.
Tell us about your team and your approach to leadership.
An agile and proactive team of entrepreneurs, marketing & business enthusiasts have been the sole drivers of Cavli’s success and growth ever since its inception in 2017. Our core team involves the collaborative efforts of:
- Ajit Thomas, Co-founder & Chief Marketing Officer
- Tarun Thomas, Co-founder & Chief Operating Officer
- Akhil A Zeeb, Co-founder & Director of Business Development
- Surendar Kannan, VP of Sales, APAC (Ex Nokia, 25 years experience in ICT)
- Siva Ramamoorthy, Advisor - Telco Operations (Ex Intel and GENBAND Kellogg, USA Alumnus)
Tell us about Cavli's global presence and availability.
Cavli’s internal value chain is spread across continents with niche technology partners traversing Embedded electronics, Telecom technology, and Software cloud optimization services from the United States, France, UK, Brazil, S.Korea, China, Taiwan, HongKong, and Germany. Cavli directly partners with over 60+ telecom companies and powers cellular connectivity requirements for 150+ countries across the globe. Cavli has business operations across four continents - North America, Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific with sales offices in the United States, Spain, Turkey, Oman, with the Innovation center set up in India.
For more information about collaborating with Cavli please connect at www.cavliwireless.com